Partly At Fault For Your Accident?
Sometimes both parties were negligent in some way. One driver was speeding, the other distracted. Under Oklahoma law, your compensation can be reduced in proportion to your fault. If you exceed half the blame, you may be barred from recovery entirely.
Issues of comparative negligence are typically hashed out by the attorneys and reflected in the final settlement agreement. What you really need to know:
- If you were partly at fault, yes you are still entitled to seek compensation.
- Do not admit fault to the other party or make such statements to an insurance adjuster.
- Do not be intimidated by threats that you will get nothing.
- Do not assume the blame is on you; the other driver might have been even more negligent.
Our personal injury lawyers can determine the value of your auto accident case and whether it is likely to be reduced. We serve clients in Norman, Oklahoma City and statewide.
Comparative Negligence In Oklahoma Injury Claims
Some states bar recovery if the victim is the slightest bit at fault. Oklahoma law is more reasonable. Compensation is barred only if you are judged at least 51 percent at fault.
Otherwise, your award is reduced by the percentage of your comparative negligence. If you were 25 percent at fault, you would be entitled to the remaining 75 percent of your potential award. Even if you were 50 percent at fault, you could still receive the other half of the money. Partial compensation is better than none, especially when you have lasting injuries, medical bills and lost wages. Our involvement often results in a more favorable ratio and thus greater compensation.
Partly At Fault For Your Accident? Get Legal Counsel Today
Our attorneys can skillfully address the matter of your negligence to get the maximum amount of compensation for your circumstances. We can answer all your questions in a free consultation. Call Ward & Glass, L.L.P., at 405-253-4031 or fill out our online form.